Monday, August 29, 2022

Meet Me!

 

Hello, my name is Mariah. I am a 29-year-old living in Massachusetts. I was born and raised in New York City for over 20 years. I lived in Alaska for 2 years where I began my second undergraduate degree with UAF (emergency management). My first graduate degree is a bachelors in English from CUNY John Jay College. After my emergency management degree, I am intending to begin 2023 in an applied behavior analysis graduate program. I am a mother, writer, problem solver, and an avid gamer. I have one toddler, two cats, and a fish with a lot of personality.


Sony Interactive Entertainment
Horizon Zero Dawn: Frozen Wilds DLC
November 06, 2017

            An art piece I adore is from one of my favorite video games, Horizon Zero Dawn. I love the contrast between the vast unknown of the white snow with the rainbow pools. The visuals in the game are gorgeous and created a great play experience. Visual art contributes to story driven video games and board games by adding minute details. If you wish to explore the evolution of video game art, you can follow the link to the Smithsonian “Art of Video Games” exhibit. When I choose video games and board games to partake in, I often look for games that take the time to consider open world concept art. Placing scenic imagery into a game can change how gamers will interact with the story and game mechanics.

            For my final semester with UAF I am taking this course to explore the history of art. My relationship with art has always been a passionate one about music and writing. Exploring visual mediums through museums, video games, adult coloring books, and tattoos has created a home for me within the art community. In my free time I make jewelry and play with special FX makeup. Exploring different ways to use color theory has always been a hobby of mine.

            Tattoos are one of my preferred art mediums. When I was 18, I went to get my first tattoo which covers my entire forearm. Having art to display in my home my body feels like a great way to express personal interests through visual mediums. My favorite types of art are macabre (horror), fantasy, video-game, and scenic imagery. One thing I miss often about NYC is having access to plethora of art related museums and exploring different mediums.

            I am looking forward to a great semester exploring art through historical contexts as a class!

9 comments:

  1. So true! Imagery in games is super important. I am so glad you mentioned board games too. I love some of the art on my board games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mariah, I love how you mentioned tattoos as an art medium. I myself have many tattoos, and at one point I used to love to design flash tattoos. I also think it's so interesting how they are popular amongst so many different cultures as a form of art. Tattooing is almost universal, and has been around for centuries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tattoo art has always fascinated me. I have many tattoos myself, but being the bookworm that I am, they consist of word art and symbols. I have been sketching, adding to, taking away, from a piece that I plan to have tattooed as my celebration for leaving the military and starting new. After a decade of planning this tattoo, it is interesting to me how much it has changed. Gaming art is something that most don't even recognize as a form of art. I love the fact that you used a piece from a video game, some of the games I have involve such an in depth version of architect and art that leaves me in wonder. I truly am excited to see if we will do any diving into the video game world within this course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mariah! I was also born and raised in NYC, I lived in Brooklyn then moved to queens. I think it's interesting that you choose games based on art. I am not a gamer but I do agree that visual art contributes to the story line of the game because it has the power to keep the player engaged. I love tattoos on other people! I feel like it makes a statement, personally I do not have any but maybe one day I will get one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mariah
    I always wanted a tattoo but could never think of one that I loved enough to get. finally at age of 40 I got my first one of my kids foot prints on my forearm. I really like it and it is something I will always love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Mariah,
    It was so nice to read your introduction, I always wanted to visit New York. Maybe I'll have to make a trip in the next couple years. I love that you put art from a video game, I would have never thought of doing this. Great job! I also enjoyed your into music, I am too! I hope you enjoy your semester, great to learn about you and your appreciation for forms of art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mariah,
    I had just started playing video games recently because of my husband. Right now I am playing Elder Scrolls online. I like it so far other than the lagging part of it. I love the art of tattooing. I got my first tattoo with my dad two weeks after my 18th birthday. Then two weeks ago I took my husband to get his first tattoo.

    ReplyDelete

Puerto Rican Arts and Culture Challenging Colonial Concepts

               Flag of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico